Gluten and Casein Free Diet

My boring blog! My son is starting on the gfcf diet. I want to log all the foods and see if his behavior changes. Anyone who catches me feeding him stuff he shouldn't have or who has advice, feel free to comment.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Double Dutch Treat

Yikes. I haven't posted here since January. This blog was originally to follow the changes in my son since we implemented this diet and they have been huge. We are on it for life. I think the hardest part will be teaching him how to cook for himself when he gets older. Of course, eating out will always be an issue.

Today I made a chocolate cake recipe from a Bette Hagman cookbook called "More from the Gluten-Free Gourmet." It makes a delicious chocolate cake with a pudding type layer underneath.

So much for the Weight Watchers points.

Here it is.

Double Dutch Treat

Batter

1 cup gluten-free flour mix (I'll post this below)
1/2 tsp xantham or guar gum
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 TBS cocoa
2 TBS butter or margarine, melted (It seems you could substitute oil here.)
1/2 cup milk or nondairy liquid
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I left these out)

Sauce

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups cola, heated to boiling, or 1 2/3 cups hot coffee plus 2 TBS rum
Ice cream or whipped topping (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.

Batter: In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, xantham gum, baking powder, salt, sugar, and 2 TBS cocoa.

In a small bowl, combine the butter, milk, and vanilla. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and blend until mixed. Stir in the nuts. Spread the batter in a greased 8" square pan.

Sauce: Combine the sugar and cocoa. Sprinkle the mixture over the batter. Pour the cola gently over the batter.

Bake in oven for 45 to 55 minutes until the cake top springs back when touched lightly. Serve with a scoop of ice cram or a dollop of whipped cream (if desired).


Gluten-Free Flour Mix

6 cups white rice flour
2 cups potato starch flour
1 cup tapico flour

Mix together for your gluten-free baking.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for the marshmellow recipie! I love it!

     
  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger EdotR said…

    I have got to try this..I made some brownies a couple of weeks ago that sucked big time...

     
  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger Caro said…

    You're welcome, Desiree.

    I'm sorry it took so long. I'll start checking this blog more often.

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger natalie said…

    Hi I hope you don't mind me commenting no your page but, I'm going to give the GFCF diet a second go and I think your blog will help a lot!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home