Gluten and Casein Free Diet

My boring blog! My son is starting on the gfcf diet. I want to log all the foods and see if his behavior changes. Anyone who catches me feeding him stuff he shouldn't have or who has advice, feel free to comment.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Adventures In Cooking

I read some more on gluten-casein free and came across the part that says I need to use a separate waffle iron and toaster for the boy child. Sigh.

I also went grocery shopping Friday. I carefully read every label. It was confusing and frustrating and it took forever.

This week, I stocked up on cooking needs at the health food store. I thought I had everything I needed. I have potato flour, tapioca flour, corn starch, bean flour, rice flour and brown rice flour. Thirty-three dollars, please, cha-ching!

But wait, I realize I need potato starch and tapioca starch and I am almost out of rice flour. I have already gone through one box of rice flour and one box of tapioca flour.

This crap is expensive! I'm not even counting the package of xantham gum that costs twelve dollars. A little pint of rice ice cream was three dollars!

The almond milk and rice milk aren't cheap either. I've discovered that the almond milk is quite delicious. Of course, it costs more than the rice milk.

I want, so badly, a big glass of fat-free cow's milk. I would arm wrestle my poor grandma for some right now. I also want syrup on my pancakes, not jelly! I've heard Aunt Jemima syrup is gluten-casein free, but I need to call them to make sure.

I am gaining more weight and I am a big, fat disgusting blob. I feel very limited on what I can cook for dinner. This will pass, I'm sure, as I discover new recipes, but right now I'm fat and frustrated.

This morning, I made tapioca and rice flour waffles. They were okay. Even my picky middle child ate them. She complains about everything so I was pleasantly surprised.

This afternoon, I made some peanut butter chocolate bars. They were good. I ate half the pan. Oops.

Here is the recipe for the bars. I purchased a cookbook from a lady on ebay. For 2.99, she will e-mail it to you in adobe acrobat format. It's not a bad little book.

Easy Nut Bars

1 egg
1 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. beat egg and sugar until light and fluffy. Add peanut butter, peanuts and vanilla. Blend well. Spoon into a lightly oiled 8x8 baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Top with chocolate chips as soon as you remove the pan. Spread with spatula or knife when chocolate chips have melted. Cut into squares when cool.

Watch out for Carolyn or she will eat them all.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger EdotR said…

    talk about expensive..it's so hard on our pockets these diets..saturday i spent like $ 100 (the equivalent of 2 pair of shoes) in cherry's supermarket..
    1.pankcake mix
    2.'oreos'
    3.spaghetti
    4.chocolate chip biscuits
    5.bread
    6.cheese
    7.pizza sauce
    8.milk...almond milk..the expensive one..::shiver:: i tried all the other brands and miss picky did not like...but she loves the almond kind..

    I also tried mini pizzas with 'energy' brand bread and toffutti mozarrella cheese..and she liked the first slice...the second she refused to eat...
    my mother suggested the 'cat techinique' (she uses it with her cat) which consists of starving the cat/person and then they'll eat anything put before them...

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger EdotR said…

    and yes..u are supposed to buy separate cooking utensils...because of the possible 'cross contamination'...

    on the plus side: did u know..if i am not mistaken that they can eat Kellog's Corn Pops....hooray...

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger Caro said…

    So, do you have a separate toaster also?

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Blogger Aimée said…

    Vans's for Waffles.... think that it's expensive... but at long term it's worst in therapies....

     
  • At 1:20 PM, Blogger EdotR said…

    well I've never really used my toaster..so I gave it to cherry....I'm not a toast fan...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home