Gluten and Casein Free Diet

My boring blog! My son is starting on the gfcf diet. I want to log all the foods and see if his behavior changes. Anyone who catches me feeding him stuff he shouldn't have or who has advice, feel free to comment.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

To Add Casein or Not Add Casein - That Is The Question!

In the last week, my son has had some dairy products.

We are postive that he has an adverse wheat reaction, but we weren't sure on the dairy.

My husband had kept telling me that we should let him try some dairy. So the day my son found the yogurt in the fridge and brought it to me, became the day.

Here is where it gets hard. I'm not sure if the dairy is good or bad.

We got more annoying poop behaviors. Instead of telling me when he has pooped and laying down to get changed, my son says, "Poopins." Unfortunately this is usually after he has thrown it on the floor or the wall or played in it. Yick.

But his teacher at pre-school mentioned how sociable he was that day. He has seemed happier and more upbeat at home also.

Today "J" from California First Five came to the house and said he was much more focused. But that could be from all the sleep he got yesterday. He was running a high temp and slept until two in the afternoon, waking up occasionally to nurse.

In fact, he got ice cream yesterday to bring down his temp.

After "J" left today, he was a real turd. When I went to pick up the girls from school, he kept shouting out words I didn't understand and becoming agitated. He did not want to ride in the van.

So I'm torn on the dairy. It is a great protein source.

Any advice from anybody familiar with this would be greatly appreciated.

And my clay bath is on the way. I will let everyone know how that works.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm curious if you ever added any dairy and how that worked? We are at the same point with some of ours. We have 5 children, 4 on the spectrum. We know dairy is out for two of them- my oldest (16) becomes aggressive when he has dairy. My youngest girl though, we know wheat causes a problem. She has less tantrums and has normal stools with no wheat, but we are not sure about dairy with her. Sometimes it seems it helps, and then sometimes it doesn't. All of my kids at one time or another did the poo smearing and tantrums for hours. My oldest screamed for 24 hours straight when he was 2! (glad he got over that one!) Keep us posted! :-)

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Caro said…

    Stacy,

    He has some very occasional dairy. I have noticed with wheat, that his reactions are close to immediate. There is a behavior change within the next 24 hours.

    But with dairy, it takes a while to build up. After three or so days he'll start to get diarrhea and be a bit more difficult.

    I have decided that if we want to occasionally go out for ice cream as a family, we can.

    But at home we stick with mostly almond milk and margarine.

    Hope this helps. And thanks for coming by.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home